Thursday, August 12, 2010

In Memory of Richie Hayward

Richie Hayward, world renowned drummer for Little Feat, passed away yesterday after a year-long battle with liver cancer.  A founding member of the legendary band, he was widely regarded as one of the greatest rock and roll drummers in history.  Besides Little Feat, he also performed and recorded with some of the biggest names in the biz, including Eric Clapton, Warren Zevon, Travis Tritt, Robert Palmer, Tom Waits, Taj Mahal, Barbra Streisand, John Cale, Buddy Guy, Arlo Guthrie, Carly Simon, Bob Seger and others.  Richie had mad creative talent behind a drum kit, and in other areas of life as well.

I first met Richie in 1999 in Gaithersburg, Maryland, when I performed with Little Feat for the first time.  It was New Year's Eve, and what a night.  The band was just terrific, both personally and professionally.  Richie seemed warm and down-to-earth, and made me feel like a member of the band.  We did two sets that night, and the band invited me to solo several times.  Each time, the audience went crazy.  After the show, we had plenty of time to countdown to midnight and catch the impressive fireworks.  Finally, I was invited to an after-party in the band's hotel suite, where I chatted with Richie and the rest of the gang in a more casual setting.  It was a truly memorable night all the way around.

I met Richie and the band again at a blues fest in St. Petersburg, Florida, some years later.  Denny Jones, the band's tour manager, invited me out to the fairgrounds where I met the band before the show. Although I didn't perform with them that time, I was surprised to run into Richie at a local jam session after the show.  It was really nice getting to know him outside the Little Feat circle, and he got a chance to hear me perform once again.  He left a lasting impression on me as a sincerely warm and genuinely human being.

I regret not staying in better touch with the band.  I occasionally corresponded with Bill Payne, but I never met Richie again.  I can't say I knew him well, but from the time I spent with him I sincerely liked and respected him.  He was a fantastic musician, and a wonderful man.  He will certainly be missed.

Below is a video collage of one of my performances with Little Feat.  In this clip, Bill Payne and I trade licks over their classic tune, Dixie Chicken.  Enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. Heather-
    Richie Hayward was my absolute favorite rock drummer of all time. Ive been listening to all my old Little Feat for the past few days. I saw LF at the Bottle and Cork in Dewey Beach Delaware just 2 weeks ago. Richie's replacement, Gabe Ford is a great drummer, but it just wasn't the same. I'm really going to miss Richie.

    I enjoyed our time on stage tonight at the Firehouse in Fairfax. You rock girl!

    Hugh Sutherland
    Drummer
    August 15, 2010

    ReplyDelete